Monday, January 17, 2005

Puto + Siopao = Puto Pao


putopao
Originally uploaded by annalyn.
Even though am not much of a puto fan like my New York-based blog friend JR, I have my favorite puto, or puto pao to be exact.It's at this stall at the Rustan's food court of Harrison Plaza which sells it for only five pesos. A box of a dozen pieces makes for an affordable pasalubong at only P60 or $1.

As you might have guessed, puto pao is a variation from the traditional steamed delicacy because it has a filling, usually asado.

I still have to prepare something like it but luckily, I found one recipe in Food Magazine which might be worth trying:

Batter

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
1 cup powdered milk
4 tablespoons baking powder
2 1/2 cups water
3 pieces whole eggs

Topping

2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/4 kilo ground pork or beef
2 tablespoons minced celery (optional)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon seasoning
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
pinch of pepper
pinch of MSG

1. In a bowl, combine all-purpose flour, cake flour, milk, baking powder, water and eggs. Mix until well-blended. Set aside for one hour.

2. Prepare the topping: In a skillet, heat oil and cook ground meat until brown. Add the celery, soy sauce, seasoning, salt, sugar, pepper and MSG. Stir mixture occasionally until ground meat is cooked.

3. Pour puto batter in greased small muffin cups about half full. Add a tablespoon of topping in each cup. Steam for 10 to 15 minutes.

As a final note, do tell me how it turned out;)

4 comments:

emong said...

Hello. Tanong ko lang, hindi ba matigas ang pinaka puto nya? kasi sa picture parang ang tigas. Gusto ko sya i try. Paborito kasi ng lolo ko ang puto pao. Salamat sa pag share ng recipe.

anigerasonipse said...

i noticed that there is no shortening and sugar in your recipe? anyway, i will try ur recipe this weekend with a little cooking oil or margarine and sugar. thank u for sharing this recipe, i will tell you about my experience next time.

ryel2008 said...

Hi, i just want to ask, ito ba yung puto pao na maputi sya tapos malambot talaga na foamy?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Do you know latale online gold? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy latale gold and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these latale money with his friends.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many buy latale online gold and play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found cheap latale gold was so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

Do you know seal cegel? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy sealonline cegel and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these seal online cegel with his friends.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cheap seal cegeland play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy seal online cegelwas so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.