Sunday, May 08, 2011

Tomato, basil and feta salad



I figured that it would be a pity to waste this sunny, lovely summer without indulging in a simple, delectable salad. For starters, this is a season of really great tomatoes which are round, red and glorious in all their plump roundness. The basil leaves are becoming a staple in my pantry too, as I seem to be needing them in most dishes I cook. The feta cheese is a bit luxurious, as they can be expensive in Manila. But I found a good local version that was priced for less - not as tart, but still a good substitute for Greek feta. Rounding up all three, I now have the basic ingredients for tomato, basil and feta salad. So easy to make and yet so healthy! Thanks to the Food Network for the recipe from famous cookbook author Ina Garten.

First, gather your tomatoes. I mixed the little cherries with regular-sized ones, and cut them in half. I also chopped a piece of red onion...if you feel a bit generous, make it two! Then in a bowl, I combined 1/4 cup good white wine vinegar, 6 tablespoons olive oil, a tablespoon kosher salt (or simply salt!) and a teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Toss with the onions and tomatoes, then add 1/4 cup each of fresh basil leaves and fresh parsley leaves. Finish off by crumbling one and a half pounds of cubed feta cheese in your hands, mixing them well with the salad. Decorate with left-over basil or parsley as desired. Voila! You now have a platter that's as colorful as it is healthy:)

0 comments: