Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Oyakodon (chicken and egg rice bowl) recipe




Oyakodon (chicken and egg rice bowl or chicken and egg donburi) is another staple in Japanese restaurants which you can prepare at home. It's a comfort food for me since I love chicken. There are other ways of doing this dish but here is my recipe, combined from several versions of recipes found on the internet. Please feel free to estimate the ingredients as most of the time I don't measure when I cook. LOL.

How I cook my oyakodon:

Prepare your boneless chicken pieces and season with salt and pepper. You have the option of dipping them in flour. Fry the chicken until almost cooked and get rid of excess oil.

Next, saute the onions until transparent. Add soup or chicken stock and slowly simmer.Dashi is preferred, but in its absence, try mixing soy sauce, grown sugar, Japanese sake and mirin in the right quantities to make your stock/sauce. Add chicken pieces and let boil again until flavor of the soup is absorbed.

In the meantime, beat the eggs and add to the chicken mixture. Eggs should still be tender, not overcooked, when transferred to the steaming hot bowl of steamed rice. Top with chopped green onions, if desired.

0 comments: